Monday 16 April 2012

So Sick! But Found Out Way to Save on Medication

Hi Everyone,

First off, I would like to say sorry for not posting as much these past couple of days. I have been really sick and have been fighting off the worst cold I have had in years! I do feel a bit better but still have a long way to go!

During the weekend DH and I went to Walmart to get some over the counter medication for me. I looked like a coupon zombie walking into Walmart., and what killed me the most is I saw deals all over the place, but didn't even have the energy to get them (You know am really sick when I ignore deals lol) I usually get Advil or Tyonle to help battle my colds and of course I did have coupons for both :). Sick not stupid LOL. But out of curiosity my husband just wanted to see the different between "The Good Brand" and the "No Name Brand" medications as I like to call them. I told him I was not about to go and change medication that has worked for me in the past. But after looking through the medications he came to the realisation that they both had the same amounts of medication in them???? Only difference... the price????

I thought he was reading the labels wrong (Or being really cheap on medication, which was not at the right time!) But I looked it over and he was right??? Now I am not a doctor (I can not even tell left from right some days) and if you have a brand of over the counter medication that works for you stick with it, or of course talk to your doctor (Sound like a commercial)  but if that is the case why is one brand more $$$$ than the other? We do have the name brand medications out there that we like to use just like the name brand clothes, restaurants, products that every person likes to use, wear or eat. So I guess we do the same for over the counter medication. Now I did buy what I usually buy to help battle my cold (With the coupon I had it came to the same price as the "No Name Brand" medication anyways). But the next time I do have a cold I am going to try and see if the "No Name Brand" medication does the same??? If it does then the price is of course a big difference.

Health of course is nothing to cut cost on, if you need it to get well you get it. BUT if what you need to get well is the same and cost less why not get the other brand? Get better and at the same time save money?

Here are two great websites to get coupons on certain products to help you fight any cold.

http://www.livingwell.ca/ (Various Coupons)
http://www.advil.ca/ (Just click on any of their products and you can print a 2.00 off coupon)


Now I do have suggestions for products that I find have been working for me:  For a sore throat I recommend Bentasil Cough and Throat Lozenges. They are awesome and work right away! Plus they are soft and chewy and taste great!


Image Detail

For a really bad cold I recommend Extra Strength TYLENOL® Complete Cold, Cough & Flu. It helps with:



  • Nasal Congestion
  • Aches, Pains & Chills
  • Fever
  • Sore Throat Pain
  • Dry Cough
  • Headache
  • Thins & Loosens Mucus (Daytime only)
  • Relieves Cough with Phlegm (Daytime only)
  • Runny Nose & Sneezing (Nighttime only)

  •  Image Detail

    So if your dealing with a really bad cold like me hope you get better soon and I hope these suggestions help! And if not...Your Lucky!!! stay away and save yourselves :).

    Thanks for reading and Happy Shopping!

    2 comments:

    1. The reason why you're paying more for "The Good Brand" is because the company needs to cover its research and development costs.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I see,I never knew that! Thanks for the info!

      ReplyDelete